Today I visited Denver Broncos training camp for the first time in three years. This was the last day preseason practices were open to the public, and it was also special because the Chicago Bears were in town for a joint practice.
- New QB Case Keenum is impressive. He was very accurate with his passes this day, and showed better touch on his deep ball than I expected. As long as he doesn't get hurt and the offensive line can protect him, we'll be fine at quarterback.
- New 2nd string QB Chad Kelly had his moments but was inconsistent. I saw him miss a crossing pattern over the middle to an open receiver that would have been an interception in a real game. But I like his upside, I think bringing in a veteran as backup qb would be a good move, keeping Kelly on the roster to develop as the 3rd stringer.
- Forget Paxton Lynch. The sooner the team moves on from Paxton the better.
- Wide receiver Courtland Sutton is for real. He looks better to me than Demaryius Thomas did as a rookie (at 6' 3" both are big receivers with Courtland showing good hands and speed at today's practice)
- Surprisingly, tight end Jeff Heuerman looked good. Stay healthy Jeff!
- Other than dropping a wide open swing pass from Keenum, Royce Freeman looks like the best Broncos running back.