With the Dan Hawkins firing today there's one name I have not heard as a possibility for Colorado's next coach.
Why not John Elway??
1. Elway is itching to get back into the game. He's been a frequent visitor to Bronco practices this year and has been more involved with the franchise than anytime since his retirement. Ideally Elway wants to get into NFL ownership, but with an NFL player lockout looming the prospects of a pro franchise becoming available are slim.
2. Elway's late father Jack was a lifetime college coach (including his stint at John's alma mater Stanford). When his Dad was alive Elway once said he would like to coach college football with his Dad. Elway certainly knows the life of a college coach and what it takes to succeed.
3. Stanford head coach Jim Harbaugh has made a transition from NFL quarterback to successful college football coach and so could Elway. Harbaugh had no BCS experience before his Stanford gig (just 3 years at the University of San Diego). Harbaugh's Dad was also a college coach (at Western Kentucky University).
4. Would Elway consider ncaa football a step down? Elway had success as a co-owner of the Arena Football League champion Colorado Crush and enjoyed that gig - big time college football is a step up from the Arena league.
5. Despite recent investment losses, Elway has plenty of money and wouldn't necessarily demand a top salary. He also loves the state of Colorado - living here, opening a restaurant here, long after his retirement.
6. An Elway hire would finally allow the cash strapped University of Colorado to tap into the rabid and lucrative Denver Broncos fan base (who have sold out all their home games since 1970)
7. Elway would love to return to his old Pac 10 stomping grounds and compete against the schools he battled while he was an all american college quarterback at Stanford.
8. Elway has been waiting 28 years to avenge this play:
With Cal in Boulder next year, he'd get a chance!
Yes I know this is an extreme longshot, but I think Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn should at least have a sit down with Elway, one of the area's greatest football minds, to get his thoughts on the next Buff coach. It was rumored last year Bohn had an informal meeting with Mike Shanahan about the Buff coaching vacancy when it appeared Hawkins would be fired.
Coaching with his father is no longer a possibility for Elway. How about John brings in CU Legend Bill McCartney as defensive coordinator to help him with the Buffs, keeping ties to the Colorado glory days?
This long time CU and Denver Broncos fan can dream, can't he?