Saturday, December 1, 2018

Mark Jackson at the Denver Broncos QB Club


Mark Jackson, one of the legendary Broncos "3 Amigos" wide receivers in the 1980's, entertained a standing room only crowd at our Denver Broncos Quarterback Club meeting today (shown above with club member Cheryl James).

"The 3 Amigos poster is the best selling poster in Broncos history," Jackson told us. "And I don't have one!!!"

Jackson told us a story of going to a charity event after his playing days and seeing a 3 Amigos poster up on a raffle table.  "I'll give you $100 for that poster," Mark said.  "Sorry" was the reply.  "$200, $300??" "Nope, it's a raffle item".  "OK I'll buy 100 raffle tickets at $1 each," Mark told the organizers.  Mark had to leave the meeting early.  He called former Bronco Ron Egloff, who was also at the event.  "Blue (Egloff's nickname for Jackson), some kid won the 3 Amigos poster after buying a $1 raffle ticket," Egloff told a disappointed Jackson.

This was one of many entertaining stories Jackson told the QB Club this day.  Below is a summary of some of his comments.

"I was a 6th round draft choice in 1986 by the Broncos.  I didn't think I'd get drafted.  I was a walk on at Purdue and played 5 years there.  In my early years I was known as the 'Black Rudy' (walkon who tries hard but doesn't get into a game).  But I played with Rod Woodson at Purdue. Going against Rod and other tough defensive backs every day in practice that taught me how to play against bump and run coverage.  Jim Everett was my quarterback at Purdue.  He was a good athlete and had a strong arm.  I was used to catching rockets from Everett so adjusting to Elway in Denver wasn't too tough.  Elway had much more escape-ability than Everett."



How was it playing in Cleveland and scoring the tying touchdown at the end of The Drive?

"Cleveland Municipal Stadium is one of the ugliest places on earth.  But that day I saw it as beautiful!  The Drive was just another day at the office.  John Elway at Stanford, Dave Studdard at Texas, Keith Bishop at Baylor, Steve Sewell at Oklahoma - my teammates and me had been making plays for years.  We've done it so many times it becomes routine.  So the Drive happened because of our earlier preparation."

Do you still have the ball from your final "Drive" reception?

"It was in my Mom's basement.  Then she moved.  I don't know where it is!"

Was The Drive your most memorable catch?

"No it wasn't.  When I was a rookie I scored 3 times, and all were called back by penalty.  Finally against the Bengals in a shootout between Boomer Esiason and John Elway I caught my first TD!  I leaped over Robert Jackson, the Bengals defensive back, to catch it!"



The QB Club crowd listened intently as Jackson told more and more stories from his playing days.  "When I got to my first training camp in Greeley, smelling the Monfort's air, I thought 'whose idea is this'??"

What was your toughest Super Bowl loss?

"On our first drive against the Giants in Super Bowl 21 I caught a pass on 3rd and 18 on the same pattern I had run against Cleveland during The Drive when we had 3rd and 23.  I didn't play much after that.  It was tough watching my team lose from the sidelines."


Jackson talked for 30 to 40 minutes, then greeted fans individually afterwards, signing many autographs and taking pictures.  Jackson co-hosts a talk radio show on Mile Hi Sports Radio from 7 to 9 am - the fans at the Bronco QB club are sure to tune in after listening to Jackson's many entertaining stories from his playing days.


The Denver Broncos Quarterback Club meets periodically at the Fox and Hound Sports Bar in Lone Tree.  Check out our webpage and signup for our mailing list to be informed of our future events.  We welcome all Bronco fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment